Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Maggie - my friend in need

As you may have read from Mallory's blog post I just reposted here, my dear dear friend is in need of help.

Maggie is a beautiful, intelligent, funny and vibrant young woman from Appleton, Wisconsin.
She is 24 years old and has a heart that yearns to make others smile. Maggie has been struggling for most of her life from physical and emotional trauma. Due to her Anorexia Nervosa, her body is no longer functioning properly. Along with heart complications, low blood pressure and a dangerously low body weight, Maggie is currently dying of kidney failure.
At the moment, Maggie does not have the financial means to pay for the medical and psychological treatment, and her insurance is refusing to cover the inpatient treatment she desperately needs. The company even refuses to pay for the treatment her kidneys need in order for her survival. Without help Maggie’s body will continue to shut down.
Insurance companies are fairly notorious for not covering treatment for eating disorders. They are seen as self-inflicted and harmless. It is as if insurance companies don't think they are serious issues. When I entered treatment for my eating disorder in the summer of 2008, my insurance company did not want to cover my treatment at all. In fact, the day I arrived in Philadelphia I was informed that my insurance would prefer not to cover me until I weighed 7 pounds less. Following my admittance they tried to drop me every 3 days. The only reason I was able to stay in treatment for as long as I did was because my parents basically camped outside of our governor's office asking for help. I will forever be grateful for the 5 weeks I had at Renfrew, it is quite possible that they saved my life.
Eating disorders are serious. Anorexia Nervosa has the highest mortality rate of any mental illness. Maggie and I both lost a very, very dear friend this year. Julia was only 16 years old and the pain of her eating disorder was more than she could handle. Julia committed suicide on July 1, 2009. Even worse, Julia is not the only young woman I know who was lost to an eating disorder this year. Melissa Avrin and Hannah McKay also passed. Eating disorders are not harmless. They are life threatening, all consuming illnesses. Too many women and men die from their eating disorders, and I
refuse to let another friend go now or anytime if I can help.
With the help of friends, I am holding two fundraisers in Maggie's honor. Next Friday at Agnes Scott College from 11:30 to 5 we will be holding a craft fair. Students and community members can come make and buy crafts and art made by students and supporters.

We will also be holding a silent auction in our campus's student center. The items that are being auctioned have been graciously donated by friends and family of Maggie as well as numerous students and individuals who want to help Maggie win this fight.

Additionally, money can directly be donated to
Maggie Lang- Recovery Support Fund
3313 N. Casaloma Drive Number 98, Appleton, WI 54913

Maggie is studying to be a dietitian so she can help girls like herself recover from their eating disorders.
Maggie is amazingly talented and kind, she just needs a chance to heal so she can share her story and show the world that recovery is possible.

1 comment:

* said...

wow, i am really speechless and so, so scared right now...i love Maggie so much and i don't know what i would do if anything happened to her :( i hate that the insurance companies are so ridiculous with covering anything for eating disorders!...i went to renfrew the second time august 08 at a very low bed rest weight and they wouldn't cover it at all... so we had to pay out of pocket over 30000 for Maya and i both...it is horrible and Maggie deserves and Needs to get the help for her body, i am in so much pain thinking about this right now, ah i would do anything to help.

love you
xx
eliza